My husband and I are selling our house. So last Spring, we started packing up the house and painted our walls Summer Gray (which basically means they’re white).
We’ve lived in this house for 11 years and before we painted, our living room walls were a dark, plum purple and I had really cool artwork and pictures hanging all over the place.
In my rush to get everything packed and organized, I took down the curtains in the living room and dining room and packed them and all the pictures and artwork up.
Now the house is bare…and as a lover of color, design, pictures, artwork…I’m dying inside and I needed to come up with some kind of solution to fill my visual love bank.
Our house has 9′ high ceilings and most windows in the house have a radiator underneath, so finding curtains that fit the windows properly can be challenging and expensive. Since we’re moving, I didn’t want to spend a lot of money on buying individual panels and I also wanted something that would soften things up, while also having a subtle design that wouldn’t smack people in the face when they walked into the house. I also needed something that was going to be easy to make/alter because my sewing machine is broken.
I wanted to first tackle the big 70″ high x 60″ wide window in our living room, since it’s the first room you walk into from our front door.
I left the curtain rod up from the previous curtains that were hanging, so from the top of the rod to the sill it’s 71″ high. For the width, from outside of the molding (L) to outside of the molding (R), it’s 60″ wide. However, I needed to add an inch to each side since the bracket isn’t installed on the molding and I also needed to add another 3 inches to each side for the rod return. I wasn’t worried about having too much fullness to these curtains, so that meant that I actually needed 1 panel that was at least 68″ wide (60+1+1+3+3) or 2 individual panels that were at least 34″ wide.
With measurements in hand (71″ x 68″), I went to the store to see what I could find. The curtain panels that I found in-store were only 68″ high (or 84″ high) so they were out and to keep this a simple, quick and inexpensive project, I did not want to have to order anything online.
I decided to walk over to the shower curtain area just to see what they had in stock and I was so excited to find this simple, subtle design and it was 72″ x 72″…Woot! Woot! I could work with that!
So here’s how I made these no-sew curtains out of a shower curtain in less than an hour:
Tools needed: Iron, no-sew fusible web, measuring tapes, shower curtain, scissors and press cloth.
Before you go out looking for your materials, be sure to measure your windows properly. This will save you a lot of heartache, time and money. You definitely don’t want to have to be guessing what your measurements are while your standing in the store trying to make a purchase. Here’s a great website with simple instructions and a diagram to show you how to do that: Curtain Works
Since this shower curtain was 72″ wide, I knew I would be able to cut it in half and only have one edge that I would need to worry about hemming.
That would give me two 36″ wide panels and would allow for me to turn my cut edge in at least 1 inch to iron on my no-sew fusible web.
I folded my cut edge and pressed it down to create a hem for the no-sew web
and following the manufacture’s directions, I turned my iron to the wool setting with no steam and used a damp press cloth to keep the no-sew web from sticking to my iron.
Once I had both panels hemmed, I went over each panel with my iron to smooth out any wrinkles
and also checked each panel for any threads that were hanging. These two steps may seem unnecessary and time consuming, but trust me, it definitely helps to make sure you have a more finished looking end result.
One of my favorite parts about this project was that I didn’t have to worry about making a rod pocket for the curtain rod because I could just use the shower curtain hook holes.
The rod that I already had installed is a telescoping double projection rod because previously, I had sheers and a valance hanging in that room. So all I needed to do was weave the rod in and out of the holes, making sure to follow the same pattern on both panels…and Viola!
I couldn’t be more happy with how these curtains turned out and best of all, from start to finish, I was able to complete them in less than an hour, all while my little guy was taking his afternoon nap. They also accomplished my goal of being able create something that was simple, soft, subtle and inexpensive.
No matter what your level of expertise, this is definitely a project that you can do!